Zolertia IoT Kit
A wireless sensor network (WSN) is a wireless network consisting of spatially distributed autonomous devices using sensors to monitor physical or environmental conditions. A WSN system incorporates a gateway that provides wireless connectivity back to the wired world and distributed nodes.
Internet of Things (IoT) is an ecosystem of connected physical objects that are accessible through the internet. The ‘thing’ in IoT could be a person with a heart monitor or an automobile with built-in-sensors, i.e. objects that have been assigned an IP address and have the ability to collect and transfer data over a network without manual assistance or intervention. The embedded technology in the objects helps them to interact with internal states or the external environment, which in turn affects the decisions taken.
Zolertia KitEngineers, universities, R+D centres and companies around the world are already using Zolertia boards to design and create their own Internet of Things connected products. We offer a line of different Zolertia modules, such us the RE-mote, the Fire-fly and the n-Gateway, to prototype and develop connected devices that can easily convert into a real final product in a short period of time thanks to their core module The Zoul.
The RE-Mote is a hardware development platform designed jointly with universities and industrial partners, in the frame of the European research project RERUM (REliable, Resilient and secUre IoT for sMart city applications). The RE-Mote aims to fill the gap of existing IoT platforms lacking an industrial-grade design and ultra-low power consumption, yet allowing makers and researchers alike to develop IoT applications and connected products.
The platform is based in the Texas Instruments CC2538 ARM Cortex-M3 system on chip (SoC), with an on-board 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15.4 RF interface, running at up to 32 MHz with 512 KB of programmable flash and 32 KB of RAM, bundled with a Texas Instruments CC1200 868/915 MHz RF transceiver to allow dual band operation.
The RE-Mote in a nutshell packs:
- ISM 2.4-GHz IEEE 802.15.4 & ZigBee compliant radio.
- ISM 863-950-MHz ISM/SRD band IEEE 802.15.4 compliant radio.
- ARM Cortex-M3 32 MHz clock speed, 512 KB flash and 32 KB RAM (16 KB retention)
- AES-128/256, SHA2 Hardware Encryption Engine
- ECC-128/256, RSA Hardware Acceleration Engine for Secure Key Exchange
- User and reset button
- Consumption down to 150 nA using the shutdown mode.
- Programming over BSL without requiring to press any button to enter bootloader mode.
- Built-in battery charger (500 mA), facilitating Energy Harvesting and direct connection to Solar Panels and to standards LiPo batteries.
- Wide range DC Power input: 3.3-16 V.
- Small form-factor (73 x 40 mm).
- MicroSD (over SPI).
- On board RTCC (programmable real time clock calendar) and external watchdog timer (WDT).
- Programmable RF switch to connect an external antenna either to the 2.4 GHz or to the Sub 1 GHz RF interface through the RP-SMA connector.
- Supported in Open Source Operative Systems as Contiki, RIOTand OpenWSN.
The Firefly is a breakout board designed to inspire, build and develop from scratch any Internet of Things application.
It exposes the most basic Zoul features, sporting only the most down-to-core features to work with the Zoul, providing the following:
- ARM Cortex-M3 with 512KB flash and 32KB RAM (16KB retention), 32MHz.
- ISM 2.4-GHz IEEE 802.15.4 & ZigBee compliant.
- ISM 868-, 915-, 920-, 950-MHz ISM/SRD Band.
- On-board printed PCB sub-1GHz antenna, ceramic antenna for 2.4GHz interface. Alternatively u.FL for sub-1GHz external antenna.
- AES-128/256, SHA2 Hardware Encryption Engine.
- ECC-128/256, RSA Hardware Acceleration Engine for Secure Key Exchange.
- Compatible with breadboards and protoboards.
- On-board CP2104/PIC to flash over PCB USB.
- User and reset buttons.
- RGB LED to allow more than 7 colour combinations.
- Small form factor (68x25mm) including USB.
- The Firefly can be seen as the “small brother” of the RE-Mote, with a slick design and a lower cost.